Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Boxes and Wrapping paper

As I have grown older, Christmas has taken on a different meaning for me. When I was a child, I could not sleep for weeks before Christmas. I would spend hours staring at the presents under the tree imaging what each one holds and pretending that I knew the contents of each package. When Christmas Eve would final come, I would beg my Mom to let me open just one present. Just one please! She would allow it. I would tear into one present under the tree to reveal - pajamas! Or worse - Chones! (Chones is slang for Underware). I would change into my "new" pajamas and go off to bed hoping-praying for a better Christmas haul the next morning. I would toss and turn all night thinking about the presents under the tree. Then 6am would roll around and I would jump out of bed and make as much noise as I could to wake the family because it was Christmas! I would open my gifts from family and friends and the cool gifts from Santa. Being satisfied with my bounty, I would head off to my room and spend countless hours playing with my new toys.

But now as a father of three, Christmas means two things - boxes and wrapping paper. It is my job in our Christmas dynamic to collect the boxes and wrapping paper that the presents came in. I dutifully man my post with a black trash bag at my side ready to collect the paper and boxes that come flying my way from three overzealous children as they rip, cut, and chew their way through their Christmas bounty.

And you know what? I have the best seat in the house!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I got two web domains for Christmas. www.thechristmaskennel.com and www.deathtouchhorrors.com

Daniel Lopez said...

Cool. I have one: www.mycrazyfamily.org - but I don't have anything on it.

Have you put away all your lights yet?

Anonymous said...

Just about. I got snowmen down and I should have the rest down this weekend. I also bough another Animated Lighting Controller for 200 bucks. I should have waited for their sale but I couldn't wait. Also planning on buying a motor for a farris wheel that I might make next year. And I might buy a Christmas tree from http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4&cat=0&page=1&featured

if I have enough. I hope you Christmas was good.