Thursday, November 17, 2005

Star Connection


Well, after much debate and deliberation I finally figured out how to attach the star to the tree without too much fear of failure. I am going to use 2 pipe flanges and bolt them together. (See drawing)

I test fitted this last night with an extra flange and 6-foot 3/4" threaded pole to see if it would buckle or bend. I attached the star to the pole flange and it held perfectly! I was thrashing the pole and trying to get it to break, but it was solid.

The next step is to bring down the GT pole and attach the star mechanism. This will prove to be a challenge, since it took me and my neighbor Brad to stand the pole up after I put all the lights on it! I may need to enlist the help of CC and his Halloween Minions to complete this task!

So CC, what do you think? Saturday morning at my house? I'll buy the popi-seed muffins and orange juice! :0)

4 comments:

CC said...

You forgot the "Ruff!" at the end of the "Sit, Ubu" quote. I remember seeing that "Ubu Productions" bug at the end of a sitcom, but I don't remember which one(s). I'm thinking it was either Family Ties or Night Court. I suppose I could Google it, but that would take the fun out of it. Heh.

Anyway, the GT is sounding pretty cool. Get some damn night shots up, will you? I wanna see this thing with lights. Also, what are the display plans beyond the GT?

Daniel Lopez said...

"Sit Ubu, sit!" - Reference to a Black Labrador retriever formerly owned by Gary David Goldberg, the producer of UBU Productions, Inc. founded in 1981. At the end of each of Goldberg's television programs (FAMILY TIES/NBC/1982-89 among others) a photograph of Ubu is flashed on the screen accompanied by the spoken phrase "Sit Ubu, Sit!" and the comment "Good Dog!" followed by a quick, single dog bark. Ubu Roi (who died in 1984), had played Frisbee with Goldberg during his college days.

Daniel Lopez said...

I have a couple of night shots of the GT, but I want to wait until I put the 6-foot star at the top to take another picture.

If you want to see it, that GT is so big that you can drive to my street and see it from the elementary school. With the star on top, I am hoping that you will be able to see it from El Camino Real or from the Interstate - here's hoping...

As far as other display stuff, I think I am going to bring out the stuff that I already have. The GT will be the focal point and the rest will gather around that. I wanted to build some pretty large Toy Soldiers but I think I am running out of time and manpower. It takes at a minimum three people to hoist the GT pole up off the ground. And after I put the star on top it may take 4 or more! Speaking of that....are you busy :0)

CC said...

Just tell me when and where, buddy.