Saturday, November 19, 2005

Gravity 1 : Gi-Normous Tree 0

As the title of this post suggests, gravity was the victor today. This morning with the help of CC, my neighbor Brad, and my electrician buddy Paul, we attempted to erect the Gi-Normous Tree with the Gi-Normous Star attached to the top. We were able to attache the star very securely, but the GT just could not handle the weight from the top. The pipe bent/buckled at the bottom and I decided that the Star was just too big to put at the top. So down came the GT. I had to replace the bent pipe so I used 3/4" galvanized pipe. I didn't bring the tree up again, because I need to buy or build a smaller version of the star. I saw one at walmart the I may go and buy. It is about 18" tall, but should be okay.

Alas, my dreams of seeing my 6 foot star perched above 20 feet of christmas tree from the interstate or camino real have been dashed. But never fear, the Gi-Normous Tree will live again (albeit in a small version).

Stay tuned for pics of our folley today - CC's wife Barb was on hand to photograph our attempt at immortality. ....

2 comments:

CC said...

I've just posted our take on the Ginormous Star raising on my blog. Photos are available from there.

Anonymous said...

I was really hoping that was going to work. I wanted to see that thing lit. The good news is that you didn't get a Gi-normous knot on your head or a Gi-Normous hold in your roof. What would Tim "the Tool Man" Talyor do in this situation? I think you need thicker poles and more power.