Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Soccer Starts Today

We start Soccer practice today for the Spring 2006 season. This is our fourth season together and my fourth season coaching soccer. I have learned a lot over the last two years about soccer and coaching girls. I have coached football before and boys are far easier to coach then girls. Boys can be motivated through intimidation and motivation encouragement at a high volume (yelling). For example, Jacob has just missed his blocking assignment and the QB gets sacked. When Jacob comes to the sideline I would attempt to motivate him by yelling at him and letting him know that he need to bring his "A" game. Jacob would respond by getting mad and going back in the game and using this anger to complete his blocking assignment.

Girls, on the other hand, do NOT respond to these tactics at all. For example, Genesis just stood by and watched the ball carrier dribble past her to shoot at the goal. As a Defender she knows that she is supposed to attack and keep the ball carrier from taking the shot. If I were to yell at her and tell her to bring her "A" game, she would just "roll her eyes" or if she is feeling extremely emotional that day, she would probably cry.

That is the fundamental difference, in my opinion and experience, between male and female youth athletes. Now as female athletes get older, they do get more aggressive. A lot more aggressive. You can start to see this aggressive behavior around 11- or 12-years of age. Most of the girls on our team are just now turning 11, but we do have a few that are almost 12. The older girls appear to have more aggressive tendencies during the game and even in practice.

I wonder if there is any "science" on this topic....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't mean to be off subject, but is there a way you can whip me up some plans for a wooden Ferris Wheel? I got some plans for a metal one, but it is hard for me to find the metal parts. Of course, I might have to break down and buy a welder.

Daniel Lopez said...

Hi Mark,

I could try to whip up some plans for you. You need to give me some dimensions and the type of wood you are going to be using.

I bet the Ferris Wheel could double as the "Wheel of Torture" for your Halloween display.

-daniel

Anonymous said...

Do you have an email I could send it too? It is in PDF.

Daniel Lopez said...

You can send it to:

danilope28 "at" gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Ok, you got mail.